The new church calendar year begins on September 1 and ends on August 31.
THE MAJOR FEAST DAYS ARE:
THE FEAST ABOVE ALL FEASTS
Pascha (Passover) of our Lord from death to Life: in 2017: April 16
THE TWELVE MAJOR FEAST DAYS ARE:
1. Nativity of the Mother of God: September 8
2. Exaltation of the Holy Cross of our Lord: September 14
3. Entrance of the Mother of God: November 21
4. Nativity of our Lord: December 25
5. Theophany of the Trinity at the Baptism of our Lord: January 6
7. Annunciation to the Mother of God: March 25
8. Entrance of our Lord: (moveable, in 2017: April 9)
9. Ascension Thursday (moveable, in 2017: May 5)
10. Pentecost (always on a Sunday - moveable, in 2017: May 15)
- Due to it being Pentecost Sunday (and not because of Memorial Day), the Sunday Divine Liturgy on May 15, 2017 is at NINE AM; and then circa ONE PM: General Panikhida and Lesser Panikhidas with blessing of Crosses (i.e. new monuments) and graves at our St John’s Parish Cemetery in Baldwin, PA
11. Transfiguration of our Lord Blessing of Fruits: August 6
12. Dormition of the Mother of God: Blessing of Flowers and Herbs: August 15
Sunday, August 14, 2016 – All of our parishioners are invited to
attend a parish picnic and celebration at Assumption of the Blessed
Virgin (St. Mary’s) Ukrainian Catholic Church, 4827 Route 982 (formerly
526 Hillview Ave), Latrobe, PA., beginning at 10:30 AM
and concluding with Sunday, August 14, 2016
– 3:30 PM – Great Vespers and Procession with Shroud
also at Assumption of the Blessed Virgin (St. Mary’s) Ukrainian Catholic
Church, in Latrobe. Monday, August 15, 2015
– 9:30 AM – Divine Liturgy, here at St. John’s
HOLY DAYS OF OBLIGATION, aka PRIVILEDGE:
(A) Pascha (Easter),
(B) Every Sunday (which is a “little Pascha”),
(C) # 4, 5, 7, 9, 10 and 12, above, and
(D) Sts. Peter and Paul: June 28/29
When Holy Days of Obligation, such as: Ascension, Sts Peter and Paul
(Jun 29), and Dormition (Aug 15), occur on a weekday, then: Vigil of
Feast (evening before) 7:00 PM • Feast Day (morning of) 9:30 AM.
SEE NOTE ABOVE REGARDING SPECIAL SCHEDULE IN 2016 FOR DORMITION.
Holy Days of Obligation, such as: Christmas (Dec 25), Theophany (Jan 6) and Annunciation (Mar 25) have differing schedules from year to year, as do all other feast days: please see weekly church bulletin.
If it is to expected that we will have less than 20 people at a service then the chances are good that the service will be served in OUR CHAPEL with its entrance off of East Carson Street - across from our parking lot - which is dedicated to the Mother of God in the Feast of her Protection (which is celebrated every year on October 1).
OUR PARISH PATRONAL FEAST DAY IS:
June 24: Nativity of St. John the Baptizer. On the nearest Sunday, we gather in the Church Hall for a pot luck luncheon.